Tuesday, October 11, 2011

in which i go art clubbing with lady gaga

Photobucket

Let it be said: I do not appreciate the absolutely frigid mornings we've been having lately. It's hard enough to get out of bed. I'm going to have to arrange for the heat to kick on much earlier than it has been...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(dress/scarf: thrifted; trench: h&m; boots: seychelles)

Last week, when my girlfriends and I got together to watch Bill Cunningham and ended up also watching and critiquing a short film by one among us, we decided that it would be a great idea to start a "creative club," where we could get together weekly or bi-weekly, share our in-progress projects, and maybe make art for the purpose of flexing that creative muscle. Last night was our first meeting, and it was really great! I think I've decided that I'm going to offer up my back-burner TV pilot for discussion at our next meeting, because it isn't nearly as close to my heart as the novel and I could use some help moving it forward. Future meetings will hopefully include some painting, field trips to various art-related events, poetry readings, sewing, and much wine-drinking. I am really excited about this, mostly because I feel like I have so many artistic interests and I don't really get to explore them very much, since I've been focusing so single-mindedly on my writing lately. I hope that channeling my creative energy in various forms will help elevate me to a more inspired level in my life in general, and make me more productive.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sure, maybe we just watched "Judas" and sketched a screenshot of Lady Gaga, but it was good to reconnect with pencil and paper again after all these years... can you guess which drawing is mine? Hint: I turn everything I touch into the 1960s. We did also read some poetry and talk extensively about our goals for the group and what we hope to accomplish from week to week. I think it will be great fun! PS: I think it's interesting that most of us independently ended up incorporating various objects on the table (abandoned still life) into our Gaga drawings... what do you think that means?

9 comments:

  1. I absolutely am in LOVE with this colour blue. The fact that its a sweater dress makes it even better, it's such a great piece. Especially with the scarf. A creative club is such a good idea and great motivation to keep up with doing things!
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this color blue on you.
    I think this 'creative club' is a great idea. So cool that you have peers to bounce ideas off of.
    Personally I think drawing still lives is easier & more interesting than copying a still photo. So I probably would have ended up sketching table objects too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take your frigid mornings and trade them for the 80 degrees we are having here in NJ.
    Between your glorious weather and your creative club, you're making me sad I didn't move to Vermont in 2005 when I had the chance.

    P.S. You are gorgeous in this blue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely look! Simple and cute <33

    xoxo*
    http://www.ivaniadiamond.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I WANT A CREATIVE CLUB. That sounds awesome!

    And I love this look. That cobalt sweaterdress is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so creative! Love yall's drawings. So neat :) Also, I really like your scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Creative Club sounds awesome! And I definitely know which drawing is yours... you definitely turn everything 1960s! ; D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore the color of your sweater dress. It's so vibrant and pretty.

    ReplyDelete