Tuesday, May 31, 2011

in which it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood

Photobucket
Today is gloriously sunny and warm, which makes up for the fact that Memorial Day Weekend is officially over. I felt like simplicity today, and I actually really like the idea of a LBD on a summer day, even if it does act as an oven (I like warmth). I also like poofy skirts lately, since hot weather tends to send me careening toward creemees and margaritas and neglecting any sort of exercise (although K and I did unwillingly walk 2 miles on the side of the highway after my spare tire popped in a pothole on Saturday afternoon--I am not going to dwell on that).
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

(dress: marshall's; shoes: kohl's; hat: uo; necklace: diy)

I'm excited that you guys are all over the Shabby Apple giveaway! Make sure to get your comments in if you haven't already--the contest will turn into a pumpkin at 12 midnight tomorrow!

Can I just say how happy I am that summer seems to have finally arrived? K and I visited the Waterbury flea market on Saturday and I picked up an awesome new picnic basket (complete with two plastic wine glasses in cylindrical basket appendages), which I cannot wait to take out in a field somewhere with some champagne and stinky cheese (or, more likely, to a riverbank so K can fish). Either way, champagne + stinky cheese + sunshine + book + badass picnic basket = heaven. Our Memorial Day weekend was a bit of a flop (mostly because of the whole tire debacle), but I fully intend to make up for it over the upcoming weekend (at least Saturday will be nice... hang in there, weather report! I like you just the way you are!). I did, however, get to do some shopping with mom for the Connecticut cottage (cabinets, flooring, appliances, oh my!), and K and I went to see The Hangover 2 (which was basically the exact same movie as the first but not as good). Next weekend: who knows?? Day trip? Drive-in? Sushi date? Bike ride?

19 comments:

  1. Your hat is so lovely! And so is your dress! I am also happy that summer has arrived although today it was ridiculously hot! And I am moving at the moment which is not that much fun in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a super cute outfit! love the hat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this look. I never thought I could do black dresses in the summer, but I'm rethinking...

    And wow, you have the worse luck ever with tires. I hope the replacement lasts more than a week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simplicity dressing is so perfect for summertime i feel. I just want to throw on a cute dress and go! I love your lbd and hat, super cute.
    Hangover 2 was definitely the same movie which was expected wasn't as good but still made me laugh so I was happy with it
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have totally inspired me to break out an old LBD similar to this one and wear it this week. Now I get the challenge of trying to figure out how to add some color to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so neat and simple. It looks really fresh and summery as well. I saw another girl in a long black linen dress on a recent hot day and that looked good too. Maybe black is the new summer colour?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really do like that hat. I am need of a pretty straw hat myself so if you should ever tire of it :) Bummer about your tire, that couldnt have been a good time. Hope this coming weekend is better for you. Oh and what is this Connecticut cottage you are speaking of? I happen to reside in CT myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like giving up my black outfits in the summer either even though it's 10 billion degrees outside! You look really cute in that dress and I especially love your hat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shall we call this comment "in which I am in completely in love with your outfit"? I would seriously wear this everyday and not grow tired of it.

    That is awful about your tire. Potholes are evil. Did you ever find out how you got the flat in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah what pretty pictures :) i love your scenery!!! is that your back yard or??? :)hope you can check out my page for some +vibes and inspiration!XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your summery look! I am experiencing the third consecutive day of rain that looks like it will continue for a while :( I really want a straw hat for summer, I love seeing them all around the blogs! Also, your label of "mr. sun" really made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely! Where did ya take the pics? I like your necklace :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are the exemplification of cuteness. The hat, the hair, the socks. Everything.

    Happy to find your blog ^.^

    hope to hear from you*!
    www.amyflyingakite.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks!

    You're blog is so cool :D I'm so happy I found it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heaps cute outfit :)

    Sounds like you had a lovely weekend. A new follower of your blog, am looking forward to reading more posts. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This dress is beautiful, I'm the same as you, I love warmth! :D

    & picnic baskets are so cute aren't they. :) I love packing food & wine ready for a picnic.

    I'm going to see the Hangover 2 tomorrow night, I really hope it's good. I doubt it will beat the first one though, originals are always the best! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the simplicity of this outfit, and that hat is adorable! Glad you are finally able to enjoy the beginning of summer (with picnics and fun little adventures). Hope you have a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable outfit, I love love LOVE your boater hat! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can never part with my lbd even in the warmer months. Half of my closet is filled with black, so it is hard to finally incorporate color when the sun is shinning. I love how you styled this! The socks and sandals go so well together. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete