Friday, May 27, 2011

in which i participate in a theme day
(and get a flat tire)

Photobucket

Firstly, let me state for the record: I have never really been one to participate in "theme" days. Even when I was on student council in High School and it was our job to organize said theme days during spirit week I often just showed up in my everyday garb. I did, however, dress "crazy" on the last day of senior year... I think I have photos somewhere that I should probably try to dig up (think knee-high rainbow-striped toe socks, enormous silver platform mary janes, a purple wrap skirt, and my then-favorite hairstyle: double buns). Anyway, due to the insane thunder-and-lightning, tornado-watch, flash-flood sort of weather we've been having (many people couldn't make it in to work today because so many roads are closed due to flooding), my supervisor suggested we have a Hawaiian shirt day. I decided to take on the challenge. This shirt is the closest I could get :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(skirt/shirt: thrifted; necklace: forever 21; shoes: charlotte russe)

Now, all was well, and I was on my way to work in my "Hawaiian shirt," when I noticed my car was making stranger sounds than usual (but didn't think TOO much of it because it always makes pretty strange sounds). I pulled off in what I recently decided would be my new photo location (you like?) and noticed that my tire was in fact smoking like a BBQ on Memorial Day Weekend (this one! any plans?). I freaked out just a little (I have a phobia of smoke and cars because of that one time K and I burned my parents' car to a crisp at Cape Cod) and called K to rescue me. It didn't even cross my mind that I had a spare tire in my trunk (things like this never cross my mind in a crisis), which I absolutely could have put on myself, but K drove over and helped me out anyway. I decided I should probably have an extra pair of tire-changing shoes in my car for emergencies, since crouching down in five-inch heels is a bit of a challenge.

Anyway, boo. I'm pretty pissed off, especially since I just bought these tires a couple of weeks ago. Also, I have no idea what happened. Apparently my tire was flat outside my apartment this morning (says my supervisor, who drove by it), so someone either slashed it or I got a flat somehow driving home last night and didn't notice. Either way = lame.

Photobucket

Also, I didn't post yesterday because K didn't get in when he was supposed to on Wednesday night and I had to pick him up yesterday morning. This normally wouldn't deter me from blogging, but I decided to treat myself to Starbucks on the way to the airport and after taking one tiny sip of my steaming chai latte, proceeded to spill the boiling beverage all over myself while driving. Dangerous. I tried to lift myself away from the spill (all the while shrieking and swerving) and ended up getting it all over the backs of my legs and creating the distinct impression that I had urinated all over myself. Anyway, I am so glad it's Friday and that K is home and that I didn't have to go to the hospital for third-degree burns. Still not so glad about that tire situation, however.

Hope your days have been better than mine! Don't forget to enter my Shabby Apple giveaway this week! :)

10 comments:

  1. I love your hair! And your shoes...and the rest of it. I really like theme days. I jump at any occasion to dress in a "costume" haha!
    Sorry about your car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am allll about theme days! I love your interpretation of the Hawaiian shirt... it's definitely got that vibe, but doesn't give off that party-guy-let's-do-a-kegstand-while-listening-to-Margaritaville vibe that most Hawaiian shirts have... That sucks about the tire. And the latte. I totally keep ballet flats and flip flops in my car (along with an umbrella and jacket) just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a little dose of bad luck for you! hope things get better! in high school all of the male teachers used to wear the same Hawaiian shirt on picture day. when their pics appeared in the year book it always look funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no the story with the chai tea sucks, I'm glad you didn't burn your legs too badly. And then a flat tire too :-/
    Now things can only get better!
    But you looked really cute in this "Hawaiian shirt" for work! And once again I adore your hairdo! You look so lovely wearing your hair like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your outfit is waaay to cute to be considered "theme day" garb! I'm the craziest person in the world about theme days at my school! Of course, to truly go all the way outside the box I end up looking decidedly un-cute:) But you sure look adorably summery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, this is lovely,
    nice post!

    Henar ♥
    www.OhMyVogue.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your outfit
    and i heart your hair too :)

    check out my blog if you're free

    Love,
    Miss Aa
    http://miss-aa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love they way you have done your hair - your shoes are lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, poor you! I shouldn't laugh, but I found your description of driving whilst pouring boiling liquid over yourself a bit chuckly. ; D Hope you had a good weekend to make up for it, and sorry about the tire!

    ReplyDelete