Monday, May 16, 2011

in which i neutralize neon

Photobucket

I'll admit, I've never been much of a neon girl. Whenever I see acidic citrus on the runways I groan inwardly to myself. It's just not my style, really. Maybe it has something to do with my skin tone--I'm pale, so neons can make me look sickly (at least, that's the effect I imagine them to have). However, as I was reaching for my safe and overworn mustard cardigan this morning, my fingers brushed against this chartreuse cropped number and I decided that such a brilliant bright color would be perfect on such a dismally dreary day. Mustard is so autumnal, and this alternative is much more springlike. However, since it is so blindingly bright and the florals on my dress are rather subdued, I neutralized it with greys.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(cardigan: tjmaxx; dress: uo; belt: thrifted; shoes: madden girl; crystal necklace: antique)

So it literally rained nonstop all weekend and is supposed to continue all through the rest of the week and next weekend. Boo. After dropping K off at the airport on Saturday afternoon :( I basically went home and watched movies and read for the remainder of the weekend. It was nice but I would have preferred to lay outside in the sunshine. It's been really weird not having any sort of contact with K since he arrived in Oregon (his grandfather lives in the middle of the woods with no cell service), and even when we were apart last Christmas and I was staying with my parents (no cell service in their neck of the woods, either) I didn't feel like a guest so using the landline all the time was an easy alternative. It's very interesting how, in the age of modern technology and constant connectivity, I feel a little bit panicked knowing that I can't even shoot K a text to ask if the heat will definitely stay off while he's gone (I don't know how to work that thing and I poured nail polish remover on the carpet near the baseboard this morning...) or to say goodnight. Or maybe I should just learn how our heat works. That might be the best solution. Actually, the best solution would probably be not to spill nail polish on the carpet in the first place, but that sort of behavior can't be helped because I am the Queen of Klutz.

Anyway, it's a new week, I'm wearing a new color, and I'll hopefully be able to take some time today to catch up on commenting and whatnot after being absent from the blogosphere all weekend (as I tend to be). Thanks for being awesome, guys! Happy Monday :)

14 comments:

  1. I love how the bright cardigan picks up some of the greenish hues in the dress! The necklace is so delicate and subtle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn you girl, you look amazing. I've loved all your outfits recently, sorry I haven't commented much! Love the cardi color.

    Huggles,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this skirt, I usually shy away from neons too because of my paleness, but I really do like this colour on you. So gorgeous
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about it being weird not being able to contact someone. My bf is TERRIBLE with his phone. I never feel like I can reach him. But we were living on different continents for 6 months and that just made it a lot worse. No fun!

    You look lovely though! The skirt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about neons. I figure I (and by extension you, who has basically the same colouring) can wear most colours but neons are tricky. But I love this colour. And booo to boyfriend's going away. Whenever Albs goes away, I start to get scared of the dark, even though I have no problem when I live alone. Most random.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And with neons, I think anyone can wear them, it's all in how you tone them down, like you say. and you've done a lovely job here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love a yellow cardi, but the dress is my favorite part! So cute!!

    sunshinepearls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. that bright green color is terrific and your shoes+socks combination works so well!

    dash dot dotty

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job of taking such a bold color down a notch ~ love this!
    And those shoes....those shoes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you tempered the brightness of neon with the dark florals and gray accessories. I always shy away from neon, too, because I fear that my inner Fresh Prince will resurface...

    Also, I totally get how you feel about feeling unconnected. Joe will be away for almost two months this summer, without any access to internet or cell phones, so I'm gearing up for a long haul of not being able to talk to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this color looks really pretty on you. I love how you used grey to tone it down though and bring the whole outfit together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely adore this outfit. Love the cardigan and that you are taking a chance with a new colour. Neon colours, whether toned down or not, are always a great way to brighten rainy days.

    Hopefully time will fly while he is gone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome colour combination! Especially love the matching belt and successful neutralization :D

    I have yet to look at our boiler manual too.. we've had it for over a month (if not two) but lazily I left my husband to deal with it. Ugh. This is how old couples seem so helpless at certain tasks: Splitting tasks habitually. I haven't done any maintenance on my home computer for years because my other half is so adept at it..

    ReplyDelete