Thursday, May 5, 2011

in which i have a wardrobe malfunction

Photobucket

Yep, stilllll raining.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(coat: plato's closet; dress: h&m; hat/scarf: vintage; tights: hue; shoes: seychelles)

In the interest of full disclosure, I thought I should mention that my dress is, in fact, not experiencing closure right now (underneath my coat, of course). I am very upset with it. I bought this dress at H&M on a trip to Montreal last summer and it quickly became my favorite, not least because it fit so snugly, like it was molded to my body. Yes, this did mean that things like sitting became a little bit more difficult, but I didn't let that get me down. And then, this morning, my zipper just... split. Whoops. So I tried to fix it (and sustained a zipping-related injury on my thumb), succeeded, and continued on my way. And then I realized that it felt a little breezy underneath my blazer, and sure enough, the zipper had split again. At least I've been more comfortable all morning than I would have been otherwise, but I absolutely MUST find a way to get my zipper to stay zipped in the future. I am still in love with this dress and short of replacing the zipper (which is far beyond my skill level), I'm not sure how to salvage it, despite my fond feelings.

I decided to wear tights today because I knew I would look really top-heavy without them. Do you guys ever feel that way? Like you can be disproportionately covered-up? I feel the same way about wearing tights with bare shoulders--can't do it, won't do it. As for the hat, I thought "why not?" It's another favorite that will most likely be banished to the back of my closet as warmer weather rolls in (whenever that may be...).

Last night K and I watched Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone (he has never read the books or seen the movies before) and we have the next six all lined up in our Netflix queue. I actually have read all books/seen all movies as they came out, and though I was never a fanatic (the last time I was sort of fanatical about something was when Hanson broke onto the scene just in time for middle school), I did enjoy the story while it lasted and I'm definitely going to enjoy reliving these lovely movies. Also, it's Thursday, which is pay day, and which is also almost-Friday. So that's pretty excellent news.

And, just in case I can't fix this lovely dress, here are a few ways I've worn it:

Photobucket

(checkers, ZIP R.I.P. 5/5/11)

Oh, and OF COURSE: Happy Cinco de Mayo! (I had guac for lunch :)

13 comments:

  1. Love this outfit. I like the alternating check even if it's because the dress split! Oh no! I remember trying that one on back in the day, but found it was too snug for me. At least you got to love it and rock it for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh you look super gorgeous! I love your lip color and the blazer with the elbow pads! And your hat... and everything here pretty much! I love to see how many different ways something can be worn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous :) I killed the zipper on one of my favourite skirts the other day. Not sure about your neck of the woods but I usually get my zippers replaced at the dry cleaners. Any place that does alterations should do it. It's like getting your shoes resoled, a bit of an investment but when it's a favourite it can be worth it. Mind you, I think I'll attempt my next replacement myself. I think I'll need a sewing montage though first, a la action movies quick gathering of immense skills..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this outfit! The coat works perfectly with the dress, and that hat is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so much like a fall outfit! The colors are beautiful though! It's gotten much colder again here as well. Am not liking it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's pretty tragic, as I was about to comment how much I loved the dress (any gingham dress, really). And I particularly love the way the lining of your jackets kind of reflects the gingham. Awesomeness! As for the rain, less cool. But, Harry Potter, very cool! I had fun rewatching all the movies with Albert last year as he finally read the books. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. poor dress. you look cute though! i love elbow patches on womens blazers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for mixing and matching! I love great pieces like that that are totally versatile, to the point where they can be totally transformed (perhaps in this way, it makes up for its closure malfunctions hehe). I love the way you styled it here- there are different things going on, but they still match perfectly for a sophisticated vintage look. And your blazer and your fur hat are perfection! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhh this dress is so gorgeous!! I hope you can fix it, it seems to be very versatile as well, love it with this awesome blazer too. Great outfit
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a lovely autumnal combination. I adore the dress, and it looks so lovely with the blazer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. gosh I love this outfit- totally pinterested you here! The mix of textures is just awesome- I love the dress and hope you get the zipper replaced!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That dress is really cute. I would probably kill someone for your coat. I've been looking for a coat like that for like 2 years!! This outfit and yesterday's remind me of professors- you look cool and intelligent:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh no. i am sorry to hear that about your dress.
    I would never have known.
    i looovvveee this preppy look. you naled it with the hat...so posh looking.
    perfect dude
    x

    ReplyDelete