Friday, January 22, 2010

seventies ski sweater

It's not very original, I know, but I just have to say it: I wish I lived in a different time. It's not a very strong feeling--more like a vague nostalgia for a time I never experienced when everything was simpler, more organic, and more real. When people put actual film in their cameras and each frame mattered more. Maybe I just get the sense that everything we have and everything we do is mattering less and less and less--there is a quick-fix for everything, so we don't have to try as hard. We don't have to be as talented or as interesting or as intelligent or as friendly or as thoughtful as we can be... we tolerate imposition on our selfhood less and less and our rampant individualism is dividing us, making us weak when we think we are strong.

Okay, rant over.

Proof that I am at least two-dimensional:
This sweater used to belong to my mother (before I stole it). She calls it "her ski sweater," so I now call it "my ski sweater." It's appropriate, too, because she used to have this awesome pair of navy bellbottom ski pants that I stole when I was in middle school and wore all the time. I could totally imagine myself flying down the slopes in a seventies sweater-and-ski-pants getup.

I love how shamelessly seventies it is--the three-tone color scheme with one neutral color, the super-stripe across the chest--it's awesome (please forgive my incorrect overusage of the em dash... it's a thing with me).

While I was at it, I thought I would pay homage to my other favorite seventies-style possession (Or sixties. Or eighties [probably eighties], although, as K politely pointed out when I was considering the purchase of a mint-green & pink floral minidress on etsy, I am "not very eighties")--my polaroid camera! TA-DA! K surprised me with this beauty in the very early days of our love connection, and I was absolutely delighted and used it all the time until the film started dropping from the stores. I know polaroid has since risen from the grave, but this little guy will be (sadly) resting in peace for a little while longer... I can't really afford to buy in bulk and that's the only way it makes sense to purchase when the shipping costs as much as the film itself.

(ski sweater: mom's; jeans: PacSun; boots: ALDO)

In other news, I'm so glad that it's finally Friday! I'm looking foward to much-needed rest&rejuvenation!

2 comments:

  1. I like the sweater, really oozes out your personality. And combining it with dark jeans tucked in boots is an awesome idea!

    ps. I noticed you're a blog friend / reader of Cheryl from Confession Of Twenty Something Years Old. Me and a bunch of friends are trying to get her to be featured in 20SB for February. So if you have an account in 20-Something Bloggers please help vote for her. All you have to do is visit here and write "I vote for Cheryl from Confession Of Twenty-Something Years Old" or "I second this nomination" :D thanks so much before, I hope you participate!

    ReplyDelete